On Wednesday (i.e. 29th July 2020) Union Cabinet has approved the new National Education policy (NEP) and renamed the HRD ministry as Education Ministry. Union Minister Prakash Javedekar and Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank made this announcement that there will be single regulatory for all higher education institution and Mphil would be discontinued. The new NEP aims to refurbish the all aspect of Indian education structure.
NEP has made a new structure to education sector of the country that is from school education to higher education. It has been made to universalise the pre-primary education by 2025 and to provide literacy to all.
The changes made
1.Change in current structure of 10+2 to 5+3+3+4 scheme where the first three years would be playgroup, nursery and Kinder garden. This structure would cover ages of 3 to 18 years of age.
2.To remove board exams of class 10
3. Single common entrance exam for all colleges and governed by National testing agency (a body of Niti Ayog)
4. To divide into 8 semesters classes from 9 to 12. School years will be divided into Foundational State of 2 and 3 years and Grades 1 and 2, foundation Stages of Grade 3 to 5, Middle School of Grades 6 to 8 and Secondary Stage of Grades 9 to 12.
5.Emphasis on Early Childhood Care and Education for ages 3 to 6. Emphasis will be given on language and maths from class 1 to 3.
6.A single regulator for all higher education institutions
7. Mphil would be discontinued
8. Sanskrit would be the main language
9.Arts, Commerce, Science will be removed. Students can now choose which subject they want. Coding to begin from Class 6.
10.Students will be given increased flexibility and choice of subjects to study, particularly in secondary school.
11. Technology would be used extensively.
12.Mother tongue would be used or local language till class 5 or maybe till class 8
13.Top foreign 100 university will be made completely online education programme and would have branch in India. According to HRD ministry document listing salient feature of policy “Such university will be given special dispensation regarding regulatory, governance and content norms on par with other autonomous institute of India.
14.National educational technology forum would be created.