Chickpeas are famous across the world they are also called chane (चने) in Hindi. Chickpeas when roasted are crunchy, easy and healthy snack item. They belong to same family of peanuts and kidney beans. They are very high in protein. Mainly they are available in market as kabuli, kaala, green and desi. Desi are smaller and darker compared to kabuli which are larger, light in colour and have smooth covering. Kaala chickpea are called kaala channa. So what are the health benefits? Let’ read on
Roasted chickpeas are
- Gluten free
- Contains fibre and protein
- Can be stored for 2 weeks in air tight container
1) They are super rich in protein and also other nutrient like magnesium, folate, vitamin b6 and c. Chickpeas contains calcium, iron and phosphorus which will help you make your bone strong. Include chickpeas in your diet will help you from preventing osteoporosis. Vitamin c which is present in chickpeas helps in skin health.
2) The fibre which is present in chickpeas makes you full for long time and which will keep you away from junk food. Chickpeas help in cutting body fat which will help for those who are looking for losing weight.
3) Chickpeas are also known as to handle blood pressure since they are high in potassium which further helps in reducing blood pressure. Since they are high in minerals they can be consumed to meet your daily requirement. Always keep a tab on salt as too much salt will spike your blood pressure level. Current guide line for adults is to consume 4,700 mg of potassium. And if you consume 1 cup of chickpeas (164 mg) it provides 474 mg of potassium.
4) Chickpeas improve your heart health as they contain iron, magnesium, fibre, vitamin B and C which support your heart health. The fibre present also helps in lowering your cholesterol level in blood. In fact chickpeas contain no cholesterol.
5) Chickpeas reduces cholesterol as in 2006 study was conducted on some participants to check cholesterol in their blood and it was found out that when they consumed chickpeas along with their diet their LDL level was less.
6) Chickpeas prevent iron deficiency. Since Iron is an important mineral in our body as they helps our red blood to carry oxygen across our body. When there is iron deficiency we tend to get tired soon and there is weakness in our body. Chickpeas are excellent source of iron.
7) Chickpeas contain beta-carotene which can boost our vision. Also in chickpeas there is another nutrient called zinc which are also essential for our vision.
8) When you have got acne you can make a paste of chickpeas and apply it in form of flour. Applying chickpea flour on affected area will reduce acne. You can make a paste of chickpeas and add turmeric to it and keep it overnight. Apply it next morning after allowing it to sit for 15-30 minutes. Wash it thoroughly with tap water
Also chickpeas are good during pregnancy, gastritis and diabetics. Hence you saw there are many benefits of chickpeas some of them I might have missed it. Hence why not include the same in your regular diet.
For disclaimer section read the disclaimer page.